Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

ICP = Insane Christian Posse?

I happened upon this by accident the other day.  Who knew?

This is some remarkable stuff

I have to hand it to these newspaper guys over in the UK.  They find the most interesting things out about our culture - which we somehow miss or never catch on to.

Insane Clown Posse - not the sort of thing, at least in my experience, you'd want your kid to listen too - but they do.  Sort of shock, horror rap.  I'd post a link to a video but even I have standards.  I had a kid that listened to this - but it was probably a decade ago now.  Fortunately for me they tend to outgrow it.

(In case you don't know ICP is made up of "Violent J" and "Shaggy 2 Dope" - a couple of white rappers from the Motor City area.  Violent J is Joseph Frank Bruce and Shaggy 2 Dope is Joseph Utsler.)

Teenagers like this because its a slap in the face for their parents and teachers.  The lyrics are horrific (PARENTAL ADVISORY):


I'm hating sluts
Shoot them in the face, step back and itch my nuts
Unless I'm in the sack
Cos I fuck so hard it'll break their back.

Nice, huh?

Except these guys came out of the closet, as it were, as evangelical christians.  There have been leaks to this effect for years and the interview above makes it pretty plain.

A recent song addresses a list of miracles:


Hot lava, snow, rain and fog,
Long neck giraffes, and pet cats and dogs
Fuckin' rainbows after it rains
There's enough miracles here to
blow your brains.
The song climaxes with them railing against the very concept of science:
Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
And I don't wanna talk to a scientist

The author of the UK newspaper piece, Jon Ronson, finds some revealing things out from these guys related to their song about miracles and how their fans are taking their new religious revelations:

"Did you anticipate this kind of reaction?" I ask them.


"No," sighs Violent J. "I figured most people would say, 'Wow, I didn't know Insane Clown Posse could be deep like that.'


But instead it's, 'ICP said a giraffe is a miracle. Ha ha ha! What a bunch of idiots.'"


He pauses, then adds defiantly, "A giraffe is a fucking miracle. It has a dinosaur-like neck. It's yellow."


Yeah, technically an elephant is not a miracle. Technically. They've been here for hundreds of years…"


"Thousands," murmurs Shaggy.


"Have you ever stood next to an elephant, my friend?" asks Violent J.


"A fucking elephant is a miracle. If people can't see a fucking miracle in a fucking elephant, then life must suck for them, because an elephant is a fucking miracle. So is a giraffe."



Geniuses to be sure.

While I have to applaud there conversion to Christianity it would seem that the business of rapping still has a way to go as far as reflecting that.

N'uff Said

No comments: